Photo PROVIDED BY OKLAHOMA HISTORICAL SOCIETY
The area now known as Bricktown, just east of the downtown business district, was Oklahoma City's first warehouse and distribution district. Bricktown was founded just days after the Land Run of 1889, and was full of activity as a central hub for the state and country, connecting via railroad, and later, major interstate highways. Until the 1950s, it housed furniture and hardware stores, a biscuit company, cotton producers, wholesale grocers, a dairy and even a school.
Bricktown began to decline in the 1960s and 70s as Urban Renewal took hold and industry and residents began to move further out of the center city. Buildings became delapidated or were torn down, and the area was nearly vacant.
After decades of decline, investors and other forward-thinkers started to show renewed interest in Bricktown. They purchased buildings, began renovations, recruited retail, restaurants, and attractions, and started to advocate publicly for the district.
With the passing of the Metropolitan Area Projects Initiative (MAPS) public facility enhancement project in 1993, Bricktown gained a baseball stadium, a canal with Water Taxi boats, as well as river improvements and a nearby sports and concerts arena.
Now a thriving urban entertainment district, Bricktown is home to more than 45 restaurants, many bars, clubs, and retail shops, as well as family-friendly attractions, museums and galleries. Bricktown generates more sales tax revenue than any other single district in Oklahoma City, and it is the gateway to our city for tourists, convention attendees, and day trippers from around the region.
Bricktown is rich with history, full of beauty, and now alive with constant activity. It's Oklahoma City's premier downtown destination for sports, fine dining, and nightlife.
The Bricktown Association is a 501(c)(6) non profit organization with the goal of promoting the businesses in Bricktown and the district as a whole.